Every month we have the luxury of enjoying a delicious team lunch made by our partner grower Jared of Duck Duck Beet Farm Kitchen. He recently created a delectable meal made from our beef shanks, a sadly under utilized cut, and it was so amazing that we just have to share the recipe. At just $6/lb, this cut of beef includes a portion of collagen rich bone marrow and when braised slow and low, melts in your mouth. It is perfect for feeding a crowd at Sunday supper and will warm you right up on these chilly late fall evenings.
Braised Beef Shank
- 4lbs Beef Shank
- 3 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 3 T chopped garlic
- 2 T tomato paste
- 750ml red wine
- 2 T chopped sage
- 2 T chopped thyme
- 1 qt bone broth or stock
- water to cover
- Liberally salt shanks at least 12 hours before cooking, up to to 24 hours
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Sear shanks over a medium flame until caramelized on both sides. Remove to a plate and set aside
- In the same pan over medium heat add all the vegetables and saute for 8-10 minutes, then add tomato paste and cook an additional 5 minutes
- Deglaze pan with red wine and reduce by half, scraping all the bits stuck to bottom of the pan, then add bone broth or stock and let come to almost a boil.
- Place shanks in an oven proof dish then pour the broth and vegetable mixture over meat, adding enough water to cover everything completely.
- Add your herbs and braise, covered, for 4 hours