Short ribs are a little-known, versatile cut packed with flavor. This recipe mixes short ribs with pasta and greens for an easy weeknight dinner with a little extra flair. Special thanks to our friend Lindsey McClave for creating and sharing this recipe for Foxhollow Delivery, our monthly subscription service from our farm to your door.
- 3-4 lbs Foxhollow grassfed, bone-in short ribs
- 1 lb wide noodle pasta such as pappardelle
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- ¾ cup chopped carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes with juice (crush the tomatoes with your hands)
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups unsalted beef stock
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 5 large swiss chard leaves, stems remove (or other thick leafy green)
- ¼ cup minced parsley
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- neutral oil such as grapeseed
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°. Pat short ribs dry & season liberally on all sides with kosher salt & pepper. Allow to come to room temperature.
- Warm dutch oven over medium-high heat & add oil. Once oil is shimmering, add short ribs & sear in batches, cooking on all sides until brown, 2-3 minutes/side. Remove short ribs & set aside.
- Reduce heat on the pot to medium & cool a bit before adding onion, celery, & carrot to meat drippings. Sauté until veggies begin to soften, about 10 minutes, adding the garlic & red pepper flakes halfway through. Once veggies are becoming translucent, add tomato paste & stir to combine. Next add crushed tomatoes & juice to the pot along with wine & stock. Stir well & bring to a boil. Return short ribs to the pot along with any drippings & top with thyme & oregano. Put a lid on the pot & transfer to oven. Cook for 2.5 hours.
- After 2.5 hours, remove pot from oven & transfer short ribs to a plate. Strain cooking liquid into a bowl, discarding solids. Return cooking liquid to the pot & bring to a simmer.
- Using two forks, shred the short ribs, discarding excess fat & bones. Return shredded meat to sauce. Simmer on low.
- Fill a large pot with water & bring to a boil. Add 2 tbs kosher salt along with pasta. Cook 1 minute less than package direction instructs.
- While pasta cooks add greens to short rib sauce. Stir to combine. When pasta is ready, transfer directly to sauce & toss to combine. Cook on medium heat for 2 minutes, allowing sauce & pasta to meld. Transfer to serving dish & garnish with parsley & parmesan.